European Discovery - Start Amsterdam, Summer 2020
Brochure Type: 2020 Europe & Britain Premium
Discover the incredible diversity of Europe's finest destinations on this beautifully-curated journey of discovery. From the romantic spires of Prague to Cinque Terre's teetering ocean-side towns and the soaring peaks of Switzerland, this is a well-paced journey offering the ideal mix of sightseeing and time to relax. Meet plenty of locals, including a Rhine castle owner, an Italian pasta chef, and Austrian foodies who will invite you for dinner
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: With an artisan baker, enjoy a demonstration and learn the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting.
- Prague: An artisan baker shows you the secrets behind Trdelnik or traditional Czech chimney cakes. Enjoy a demonstration and delicious tasting.
- Salzburg: Relish in the authentic experience of Farm-to-Table dining.
- Veneto: Visit a local winery and delight in a tasting of their magnificent prosecco. Meet the vignerons and learn how to make the perfect Bellini.
- Cinque Terre: Savour authentic Italian cuisine made from traditional recipes as you dine for a Sea-to-Table lunch at Ristorante Da Ely in Cinque Terre.
- Lucerne: Enjoy a selection of restaurants for your Dine-Around Evening. Choose your preferred ambience, cuisine and drinks for an intimate culinary experience.
- Paris: Rendezvous at a local restaurant, loved by locals, for your Celebration Dinner, accompanied by delicious French wines.
- Dining Summary: 15 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (LW) and 6 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with wine tea or coffee.
- Rhine Valley: The beautiful scenery of the Rhine River is supplemented by the many castles dotted along its banks. Delight in a private estate viewing at one of the Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments upon the Middle Rhine.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing as you watch artisans create delicate works of art.
- Venice: Learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre.
- Vatican City: Enjoy VIP fast-track entry into the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, as well as exclusive access to the Bramante Staircase that is usually not open to the public. During your visit to St Peter's Basilica, see Michelangelo's 'Pieta' and Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar.
- Amsterdam: Cruise in a glass-topped boat through the historic waterways, where wealthy merchants built mansions during the Golden Age of the 17th century.
- Wurzburg: See the Residenz Palace as you explore the old town with your Travel Director. Stand on the statue-lined Alte Mainbrucke and see the Marienburg fortress.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Explore Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the most well-preserved town on the Romantic Road.
- Prague: Bewitched by the gargoyles of St. Vitus Cathedral and ghosts of Bohemian Kings, experience a private guided tour through the courtyards of Prague Castle with a Local Expert.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert to visit the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residence Square - both locations used in 'The Sound of Music.' You will also see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum as well as other medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered through the city.
- Rome: Experience Rome through the eyes of a local, as a passionate Roman guides you through vibrant backstreets, showing you how modern life takes place around ancient treasures.
- Florence: Join a Local Expert to view the multi-coloured marble cathedral, bell tower and baptistery, adorned by Ghiberti's Gates of Paradise. Visit the political heart of the city, Signoria Square. See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods.
- Cinque Terre: With your Local Expert, cruise to and explore two of the villages of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Lucerne: View the emotive Lion Monument and walk the covered Chapel Bridge to see the Jesuit Church.
- Paris: See Notre Dame Cathedral, the Eiffel Tower, facades of the Louvre, the River Seine and its romantic bridges, the obelisk in the centre of the Place de la Concorde and enjoy a drive along the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe.
- Scenic Drives: Throughout your journey, enjoy the scenery as you travel part of the Romantic Road and later pass the areas of the Tauern Mountains, Veneto, Apennine Mountains, Tuscany, Umbria, Chianti Hills, Italian Riviera, Italian Lake District, Swiss Alps and Burgundy.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival flights are as per the itinerary start date, then arrival transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport. You may purchase transfers to London Heathrow and Gatwick airports on departure day, or when additional night accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (408) 365-3900 for more information or to book today! Mention code 14887057
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2020
- 16 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Amsterdam||Welcome to Amsterdam.: Welcome to Amsterdam, enjoy a day of leisure. Join your Travel Director at 17:00 for a Welcome Reception. Mingle and get to know your fellow travellers as you cruise along some of the many quaint, tree-lined canals, to explore the heart of the Old City, before enjoying a pleasant evening of dinner and wine at a local restaurant. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 2||Wurzburg||Onto Wurzburg.: Cross into Germany and continue on to Wurzburg. With a Local Expert, visit the imposing Wurzburg Residenz, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Marvel at intricate decorations and lavish staterooms boasting with French, Austrian and Venetian influences. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Maritim Hotel Wurzburg.
|Day 3||Prague||Rothenburg and Golden Prague.: In the morning, see the mighty Marienburg Fortress - the immense baroque palace of the Prince Bishops and one of the most important landmarks in Germany. Venture to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the most well-preserved town on the Romantic Road. Continue East to the Czech border, passing the town of Pilsen renowned for its beer, to reach the Golden City of Prague. In the evening, perhaps take a river cruise through the heart of the city? (Breakfast)|
Hotel NH Prague City.
|Day 4||Prague||Prague, City of a Hundred Spires.: In the morning, join a Local Expert for a guided exploration of one of the most beautiful and intact historical centres in Europe. At the 1,000-year-old Prague Castle, admire the stained glass of St. Vitus Cathedral and enjoy amazing views over the Old Town. Finish in the Old Town Square where the mechanical antics of the Astronomical Clock's glockenspiel that delights onlookers each hour. An artisan baker shows you how the Trdelnik or traditional Czech chimney cakes are made, and enjoy a tasting. Then, the city is all yours to explore. Perhaps rummage through the renowned antique stores or shop for the finest Bohemian crystal? In the evening, why not enjoy an Optional Experience in the Czech countryside? (Breakfast / Morning Tea)|
Hotel NH Prague City.
|Day 5||Salzburg||Salzburg, City of Mozart.: Journey through the Czech Republic and continue south over the Austrian border and onto Salzburg, the city of Mozart and the 'Sound of Music.' A Local Expert shows you the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace which includes the fountains and statues where the 'Do, Re, Mi' scene was filmed. Later see Residence Square and its fountain, where Maria sings 'I Have Confidence'. Witness the imposing fortress, immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse. In the evening for your Farm-to-Table dining experience, dine at a local organic farm in an old barn or courtyard. Enjoy the unique atmosphere of farm life as you savour the taste of homemade dishes and locally-made cider. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
ARCOTEL Castellani, Salzburg.
|Day 6||Venice||The Tauern Mountains to Venice.: Enjoy a leisurely morning in Salzburg to shop for local marzipan specialties. Perhaps take the opportunity to marvel at impressive views atop Kehlsteinhaus - the Eagle's Nest - a unique example of historic architecture in a stunning alpine setting? Later, stunning scenery surrounds you as you travel down the Tauern Mountains to cross the Italian border. Continue to the romantic city of Venice, Queen of the Adriatic, where your hotel is perfectly located in a quiet area full of quaint charm. (Breakfast)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 7||Venice||The Magic of La Serenissima.: Wake up ready to embrace this romantic city. Witness the skill of glassblowers and learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre. Take a private water taxi to St. Mark's Square where the city's former wealth and power is evidenced by the riches of St. Mark's Basilica. Admire the Doge's Palace and its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. With the rest of the day free, why not cruise the Venetian lagoon to the island of Burano for a meal of local specialties and wine? (Breakfast)|
Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio, Venice.
|Day 8||Rome||On to the Eternal City of Rome.: Head into the Apennine Mountains and the peaceful landscapes of Tuscany and Umbria. Your journey continues as you follow the course of the Tiber to your hotel in the Eternal City of Rome. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Hotel Mediterraneo, Rome.
|Day 9||Rome||Rome with the locals.: Rome is about art, antiquity, piazzas and pizzazz, and your morning walking tour with a Local Expert includes this in abundance. Toss a coin into the spectacular Trevi Fountain and see the best-preserved monument from the Roman period - the Pantheon, before enjoying free time to do as the Romans do, in Piazza Navona. Perhaps join a tour inside the Colosseum, the scene of many gladiatorial contests, and see the Roman Forum? (Breakfast)|
Hotel Mediterraneo, Rome.
|Day 10||Florence||VIP Vatican and Florence.: Start the day with your Local Expert they introduce you to the grandeur of the city, starting with the Vatican State, the richest community in the world. Visit the Vatican Museums, full of priceless treasures collected by the Popes. Insight provides special VIP entry to avoid the crowds and behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase - a marvel of Renaissance architecture normally off-limits to the general public. Once inside the Sistine Chapel, admire Michelangelo's famous ceiling. Next door, visit St. Peter's Basilica to admire Michelangelo's emotive 'Pieta' and see Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar. Your travels continue with a drive to the Chianti Hills, to arrive at the city of Florence. A Local Expert will accompany you to the Duomo, where the Gates of Paradise adorn the baptistery. Continue to Piazza della Signoria, the political heart of the city. Lined with fountains and statues, it acts as an open-air gallery of Renaissance masterpieces. Take time to gaze at Neptune and David as you explore the historic city center. (Breakfast)|
Hotel Londra, Florence.
|Day 11||Rapallo||The Cinque Terre.: The famous Italian Riviera and the Cinque Terre are a highlight of your journey. Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of Italy's most beautiful landscapes. With a Local Expert, appreciate the views as you approach one of the picturesque fishing villages by boat (weather permitting). Spend time exploring the old medieval quarter or the popular sandy beach. Savour authentic Italian cuisine as you dine for a Sea-to-Table lunch at Ristorante Da Ely in Cinque Terre. Continue by train to Levanto, then on to your resort in Rapallo. (Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)|
Grand Hotel Bristol Resort & Spa, Rapallo, Italian Riviera.
|Day 12||Lucerne||Across the Alps to Lucerne.: Pass Milan as you head north for the Italian Lake District via Lake Lugano. Continue into the heart of the Swiss Alps, passing through the Saint Gotthard Tunnel, one of the longest road tunnels in the world. Travel alongside towering mountains and past rushing torrents, down to scenic Lake Lucerne, where you are leisure for the rest of the afternoon. (Breakfast)|
Renaissance Lucerne Hotel.
|Day 13||Lucerne||Lucerne's Lakes and Mountains.: In the morning, embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and open-top cable car to the summit of the stunning Mount Stanserhorn. Take in the pristine mountain air and, on a clear day, witness views as far as Alsace and the Black Forest in Germany. Explore Stanserhorn with Insight Choice. Choose between taking a walk along beautiful scenic pathways for a chance to see marmots and other native animals. Alternatively, join a Swiss ranger and hear a talk to learn about local wildlife and flora in the area. Upon return to Lucerne, see the town's proud Lion Monument, carved into a limestone cliff and dedicated to the heroic Swiss Guards who died defending King Louis XVI during the French Revolution. Then, take some time to stroll across the covered Chapel Bridge and see the baroque Jesuit church. The rest of the day is at leisure to shop for fine watches and delectable chocolates. Tonight, enjoy a fine selection of restaurants to choose from for your Dine-Around Evening. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Renaissance Lucerne Hotel.
|Day 14||Paris||Sights and delights of Paris.: In the morning, travel through the Burgundy region to the City of Light. During your time in Paris, see the impressive Eiffel Tower, the magnificent Notre-Dame Cathedral and the imposing facades of the Louvre. Discover the banks of the Seine with its many romantic bridges, see the obelisk in the centre of the Place de la Concorde and drive along the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. With the evening free, there are countless opportunities to enjoy the lively atmosphere of this glittering city. Why not visit one of the world-famous cabaret shows? (Breakfast)|
Le Meridien Etoile, Paris.
|Day 15||Paris||The food and flavours of Paris.: Your exploration of Paris today starts with an Insight Choice. Choose between shopping at Galeries Lafayette and a guided tour around the Right Bank led by a Local Expert. Alternatively, join a Local Expert, an avid foodie, to explore small shops and sample local treats and delicacies. In the evening, indulge in refined French cuisine during your Celebration Dinner at the iconic restaurant La Coupole, frequently visited by the French entertainer Josephine Baker. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Le Meridien Etoile, Paris.
|Day 16||Paris||Au revoir Paris.: Your discovery of Europe comes to an end after breakfast. Transfers arrive at Charles de Gaulle Airport at 08:00 and 11:00. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: Twin prices are per person. (02 Jul and 10 Sep) These departures will stay at a hotel of similar standard in Venice. (04 Jun) This departure will stay at a hotel of similar standard in Florence.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class